15 February 2009

The Hare and the Tortoise by Helen Ward

A retelling of Aesop's fable of the race between the hare and the tortoise with beautiful watercolor illustrations. The author added detailed endnotes with facts about the animals and a key to the illustrations

A fable with fine-print source notes. (I am having a difficult time identifying the difference between well-made and fine-print. Here Aesop is mentioned on the front flap and title page but it doesn't mention the book or the cultural details so I am guessing fine-print). My memory of this fable is vague so I think the author shortened the text and instead focused on the illustrations. With my interest in animals of course, I was amazed at the illustrations not just for quality but also for the detail and the endnotes. The narrative was composed of very short sentences and the word choice fit the animal - slow, plodding turtle and hurtled hare. However, it is the illustrations that would interest the child more than reading aloud, in my opinion.

Ward, H. (1998). The hare and the tortoise. Brookfield, CT: The Millbrook Press.
ISBN: 0761313184
Illustrated by the author

No comments: