15 February 2009

Russian Folk-Tales by James Riordan

A collection of translated Russian folk-tales ranging from the familiar to the unknown.

This collection contains both fairy and beast tales. Interesting, woman/girls are portrayed more often as heroines and controlling their destiny and the author attributes this to the "Motherland" influence. Clearly identified as having model source notes located at the back and in endnotes. This really helped me understand the context of the stories as I am not Russian nor did I study children's literature. The text is the focus here with almost page long text and few illustrations. Repetition and cadence typically used to keep children's attention is not employed here making this more appropriate for 8-12 year old children. Illustrations are colorful and unique. I don't think I have seen anything quite like them in any of the books I have read.

I found the stories to be darker and not as interesting as other folktales. I wonder if it was my unfamiliarity with them that made the difference. Let's face it the witch fattening up Hansel and Gretel to eat is not the most heartwarming tale. And the nursery rhyme about 'when the bough breaks the baby will fall...' is disturbing now as an adult!

Riordan, J. (2000). Russian folk-tales. Oxford, England: University Press.
ISBN: 0192745360
Illustrated by Andrew Breakspeare

No comments: