30 March 2009

Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes by Chris Crutcher

My dad left when I still had a month to go in the darkroom, and historically when people have tried to figure me out (as in, "What went wrong?"), they usually conclude that Mom spoiled me; gave me everything I wanted because I had no pappy.
Eric and Sarah were close friends growing up uniting in their differences but as Eric began to change, the friends grow apart. However, when Sarah needs him, Eric fights for her proving their friendship is as strong as ever. Strong opinions on God, abortion, organized religion, and suicide are weaved into the story. Friendship, love, self-acceptance and abuse are themes found in this story.

I love this book! The characters, situations and dialogue are drawn from real life. I will read more of Chris Crutcher's books.

Crutcher, C. (1993). Staying fat for sarah byrnes. New York, NY: Greenwillow Books.
ISBN: 0668115527
216 pages



No comments: