30 March 2009

The World According to Dog: Poems and Teen Voices by Joyce Sidman

I dream of deep-sea fishing: awake to find dog breathing in my face.
A collection of poetry by Joyce Sidman along with dog essays written by teens. Photos accompany the poems and essays and the author includes a page of dog terms.

I am a dog person so this was a hit with me! The poems and essays captured the dog's spirit. I burst out laughing numerous times. Poems were haiku and free verse. I didn't remember how to write a haiku until I saw the three lines on a page and fifth grade poetry came flooding back. Definitely a great gift for dog lovers. It would be a good book to introduce poetry to reluctant poetry readers, like myself.

Sidman, J. (2003). The world according to dog: Poems and teen voices. Boston, MA: Houghton Mifflin Company.
ISBN: 0618174974
80 pages
Photographs by Doug Mindell

No comments: